Aging...Not Being Lonely

 I will be 62 later this year. While it is uncomfortable for me, I am resigned to saying I am a senior citizen. To me a senior citizen is someone who is really old. I do not feel really old.. Yes, I have those aches and pains, and deal with all the health issues folks of a certain age discuss, but I feel vital and young. 

Moving forward, I know the reality of my life. My clock is ticking on my career. I know I have to think about where I will live, and how I will live. Honestly, it scares me. I will be moving forward in a manner I did not expect at this point. I don't have family near me. I don't have a lot of friends who live close by. At this point I feel fairly remote from people. Could I live closer to all these people? I could, but I love the region where I live. 

So I have to make a community where I am, and figure how to do this. I find it a bit daunting at this time. I think it is especially difficult for LGBT seniors. Many of peers lost family when they came out, so there is a certain sense of alienation. We have to create our own families. Television gave us the perfect model with The Golden Girls. While those ladies were not lesbians(forget he one episode where they had to pretend), they were four women with families far away, and they had to come together to form their own family.

My greatest fear when I was young, was that I would grow old and be alone. At the time, I did not understand the difference between being alone, and being lonely. I now do. I am fine if I live alone. It's the lonely part I hate. It's that part that I need to fight. 

I am seeking companionship and friends of people more my age. While I have always associated with people younger than I, it is important that I move through this period with people I can have true shared experiences with. 

In my ideal world, I would love all of my friends and I to live in a tiny home community. We would all be neighbors, have shared meals together, and just be our own family. BTW - anyone wanting to join me, let me know. 

This is my last act, and I want it to be full of love, fellowship and a sense of community. 

Comments

  1. I have friends right here. Twenty-five years ago, when I first went on-line, I never expected to find friends, but I did, and I treasure them. I'll be 72 in a couple of weeks, and I don't feel 72 (except for the knee and a couple of other problems) but I am still active and alive. You don't need to be afraid of getting older.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts