Peace and Contemplation

Over 16 years ago, I was at a crossroads in my life, and I went away for a few days to a monastery in Chicago. My goal was to be in an area of peace and quiet, so I could be alone with my thoughts, do some reading, and meditate. The priests did not care that I wasn't Catholic, I was welcome. 

I am at another crossroads, and next weekend I head off to a monastery in Rhode Island for a few days of quiet, reflection, reading and meditation. Again, the good brothers don't care that I am not Catholic. They are welcome to all who wish to be alone and pray/meditate and discern. 

The list of things to think about is immense. Where will I live? Will I move forward alone? What will current relationships in general look like? What do I need to change about myself? What do I need to do for me? What do I need to do for others? How do I plan my future? 

None of these are easy questions. But the answers can't be found with daily noise, interruptions, or complications. Sometimes we need to be truly alone with ourselves, to best understand ourselves. Some of my friends are envious, and have told me they wished they could do something like this. It can be done, but it takes planning, and intentional thought to make it happen. 

I'm not saying everyone should go on a religious retreat. I am saying if there is an area of quiet you know about, you can do there, and work through these things. I know no one will bother me at the monastery. I can speak to a priest, or not, it is up to me. 

I really miss my family's cottage on Lake Michigan. That was the ideal place, where I could sit on the patio and stare out onto the beautiful lake and ponder life. After my suicide attempt in 1988, that is where I went to think about what had brought me to such a sad state, and what did I need to do to move forward.

Life is not so dire this time, but there are important decisions to be made. I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Comments

Popular Posts